Odds & Ends #3

My new neighbour speaks French

He's a tall, lanky, 16-year-old Asian boy with glasses....but he speaks French. We found him wandering around outside our townhouse with the neighbourhood nuisance (otherwise known as Kane Toad) so we took pity on him, sat him down and had a nice chat. He's proficient in like, a million languages but his top three are French, English and Cantonese. He's most comfortable speaking French though so we (my sister and I) are planning to use him as our own personal dictionary. We've tested out a few phrases on him (Bon bon le fromage baguette escargot tapis volant ca va?) but we can't get him to stop laughing long enough to give us some feedback on our pronunciation.

Turns out Alex (that's his name) has been taken in by my Aunty. He's moved here without his family and if all goes well with his visa, he'll be studying at the high school I went to. I'm still trying to wrap my head around his questionable life choices but hey, it's not like I'm one to judge. I told him that if he speaks French to the students and teachers there, he'll be guaranteed instant popularity.

Good kid. I hope he doesn't get too lonely.

I caught up with Othilia on Friday Night

We hung out at Strathfield after work at 9:30pm on Friday night and bitched about people over tteokbokki (Korean spicy rice cakes).


I'd never realised but the texture of Korean food is so fucking weird. They've got everything from chewy, glutinous rice cakes and soggy kimchi to grainy sweet potato mash and slimy cubed whatever-the-hell-that-is. Everything is fermented but for some strange reason, it all works. I need to eat out at Strathfield more.

It was Mik's birthday on Monday

I met Mik (or Michaela) this year at university and because we do the exact same course (Public Relations AND Chinese majors), we've gotten to be really close. It was her birthday on Monday and she wasn't in class because of work so we called her during the Chinese seminar and got the whole class to sing "Happy Birthday" in Chinese.

She also celebrated with a dinner at Chiswick in Woollahra (a Matt Moran-owned restaurant) and I blew all my savings on the fanciest meal I've had in ages. So worth it though.


Mandarin, passionfruit pavlova, blood orange sorbet 


Main: Paccheri pasta, spanner crab, snow peas / Sides: Steamed greens, chilli, garlic, lemon & Hand cut chips with black garlic aoli

If you're reading this Mik, once again, Happy Birthday!

Keira Knightley Sings (Surprisingly Well)


This is kind of my jam at the moment. I like it so much more than the Adam Levine version. Her voice has that purity so well-suited to acoustic indie-folk music. In fact, I'm kind of just in love with everything she sang in Begin Again. 

The movie itself was pretty good. It's about a disillusioned music executive (Mark Ruffalo) who meets a songwriter (Keira Knightley) and in order to get over their respective miseries, they work together to produce an album in New York. It also stars Adam Levine, Hailee Steinfeld and CeeLo Green. 

Check out this other song from the soundtrack:


I'm still sticking to my pilates exercise regime

And it's bloody killing me. I would rather do two hours of cardio or kickboxing or goddamn running instead of an hour of pilates. But since I've started this, I'm going to stubbornly stick to it until it kills me (or my motivation dries up). I love Cassie from Blogilates but when you've been holding plank position for five minutes and instead of letting you up, she tells you to pulse for another two minutes, you kind of just want to punch her in the face.

I'm turning 20 on Sunday

And I'm taking four classes at tutoring on that day. Somebody come visit me :(

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I LOVED THE MOVIE <3333 I THINK IT'S ONE OF MY FAVES!! And I love the song too! But I'm still torn between which version I like !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a feel good gem of a movie isn't it? I like the Keira Knightley version better just because I think her voice suits the tone of the song.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts